Disagreements Over The Home

The laws protecting couples who cohabit are not as thorough as the laws that support the rights of a married couple.  The most significant asset for most cohabiting couples is the home.

What should I consider? You will need to consider who owns the home, if you are unsure we can check with the HM Land Registry to ascertain this information for you.  If it is not in joint names you may still be able to claim an interest in it, for example if it is a family home for children or if you have carried out signifiant improvements to the property. 

Why do I need a solicitor? This is a complex area of law and you should seek legal advice that is specific to your individual set of circumstances.